Victorian government pledged to set April race date for Australian GP RaceFans

0

In the summary: The Victorian government has given assurances that the Australian Grand Prix will go ahead as planned on April 10 this year after its cancellations in 2020 and 2021.

In short

Victorian government commits date for April race in Melbourne

The Australian Grand Prix will not be postponed to a later date following the Victorian government’s commitment to stage the race in April.

There has been no racing around Melbourne’s Albert Park circuit in the past two F1 seasons due to the impact of the pandemic. The 2020 event was canceled on Friday morning after McLaren team members tested positive for Covid-19 during the initial spread of the virus. The Australian Grand Prix was due to take place in 2021, but was delayed several times before being cancelled.

Speaking to Speedcafe, Andrew Westacott of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation said the Victoria government had assured them the race would go ahead on April 10.

“We have a commitment from the Victorian government that the event is going ahead,” Westacott said. “We have a commitment from Formula 1 that they come here for round three. We’re selling tickets like hotcakes, and we’re 80 days away from the event. So everything is happening, everything is getting ready, and ( i) can’t wait to welcome the best drivers in the world, in new cars, on a new circuit.

Melbourne’s Albert Park circuit is to host the third race of the season on a heavily revised layout. The Formula 1 season begins in Bahrain on March 20.

Kanaan wants to race the 25th Indy 500 in 2023

The 2013 Indy 500 winner took 10th place last year

IndyCar driver Tony Kanaan says he hopes to have the opportunity to race the Indy 500 for the 25th time in his career next year.

Chip Ganassi recently confirmed the 47-year-old will be racing for them at the 106th running of the race in May – the only IndyCar event he will be competing in this season.

Kanaan, who won the race in 2013, said he was able and willing to compete in next year’s race of the famed race, which will mark his 25th year in the series.

“Do I have anything planned for next year?” No. Do I still want to do this? One hundred percent. Do I still think I can do it? One hundred percent,” Kanaan said.

“Look what happened to Helio [Castroneves]. I mean, my question will be, what if we win number two? Are we coming back or not? So I’m not announcing anything because I don’t know. I can tell you that my intentions are not [for this] be the last. Next year will be my 25th year in IndyCar, and I think it would be pretty cool if I could do that.

AJ Foyt holds the record for most Indy 500 starts, having entered the race 35 times, each year from 1958 to 1992.

Smolyar switches to MP for the third year in F3

After two years with ART, Alexander Smolyar has moved to MP for a third season in the FIA ​​Formula 3 Championship. The 20-year-old finished sixth in the class last year, winning two partial reverse-grid races, including the season opener at the Circuit de Catalunya. MP has yet to announce who his two teammates will be.

Announcement | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

Announcement | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday to Oukilf1, Bruno and Ehsansatti!

On this day in motorsport

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.