The track layout for Formula E’s first E-Prix in Jakarta has been revealed, with teams anticipating a bumpy venue that will combine elements reminiscent of the FE circuits in New York and Valencia.
The 1.47-mile track, located in the resort town of Ancol north of the Indonesian capital, was built from scratch to replace initial plans for a race in the historic main square of Merdeka in the center from Jakarta.
It had involved a race around the sacred monument of Monus, but city officials rejected the proposals in early 2020 largely due to disruption and disruption to the busy area which is surrounded by government buildings.
But when a combination of political and then pandemic issues derailed plans to host the race in 2020 and 2021, attention turned to the resort area of Ancol which offered similar topography and location to those of the Sanya E-Prix in Hainan so far unique. held in March 2019.
Confirmation of Ancol’s location was granted earlier this year after Formula E originally held June 4 as the date to be determined when the provisional 2022 calendar was released in June 2021. This was later confirmed like Jakarta in October last year.
The new runway at Ancol was built from scratch, with the first preparatory engineering work for the laying of the runway not taking place until February.
The first track blocks were laid last month and completion of the circuit for homologation will not take place until next week when the teams arrive at the site. FIA race director Scot Elkins and a delegation of Formula E and FIA executives visited the site in March.
The track itself will feature some undulation, particularly in the Turn 7 area and some who have already received the official track maps administered by the FIA say it is bumpy in sections. The attack zone transponder loops will be located on the outside of turn 16.
The Formula E cars arrived by airfreight in Jakarta over the weekend and are in storage at the National Stadium in Jakarta before being transported to Ancol this week.
The Race revealed earlier this month that Formula E was considering hosting a double-header event in Jakarta in addition to the replacement race in Marrakesh in early July to make the championship a 17-race schedule.
However, Championship Director and Formula E co-founder Alberto Longo recently told The Race during the Berlin E-Prix that the main reason why a double header has not been confirmed was “because they [Jakarta] need a little more time to decide.
“If we had waited for them, which I think would end up getting the ‘yes’, but if we had waited for them and suddenly it was a ‘no’, we would have lost the opportunity to race in Marrakech. .
“That’s why we immediately went to confirm the race in Marrakech.
“Jakarta is unfortunately not going to have a double-headedness although up to a certain level I was waiting to speak with the governor himself to get the final green light.
“But his team told me that they weren’t going to be able to make a decision until probably Thursday this week. Which was already way too late for us to start preparing for Marrakech.
The latest international motorsport event in Indonesia took place when GP2 Asia visited the Sentul circuit in the Bogor Regency region of West Java.
The current Nissan e.dams driver, Sébastien Buemi, won on this occasion in a field that included the current Venturi team principal, Jérôme D’Ambrosio.
Before that, the A1 GP series visited Sentul twice in 2006 and 2007.
World Endurance Championship race winner Nicolas Lapierre, Canadian racer Sean McIntosh and Kiwi Jonny Reid won both double-headed events.
Thank you for your opinion!